EU GDPR – TOP FIVE REASONS WHY AUTOMOTIVE OEMS SHOULD SUPPORT THEIR DEALERS
The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) comes into force today, May 25, 2018.
More than 200,000 car dealers, repairers and workshops will be affected. The GDPR requires all workshops to securely and properly manage personal data and keep accurate data processing records. The German Automotive Manufacturers’ Association (VDA) and the German Data Protection Authority define all data associated with a vehicle identification number (VIN) as personal data. This means that almost all of the data held by a workshop, including repair data, warranty data and diagnostic data, will be covered by the new regulation.
OEMs should support their dealers in the journey toward compliance with GDPR. Here are the top five reasons why:
- OEMs are data controllers for many processes. They determine how large amounts of data should be used. However, they depend on their dealers to collect, process and transfer large amounts of data during sales, the creation of warranties, and repairs
- OEMs process and store data they receive from dealers. They need to be sure that when a customer provides data, the customer is aware of how that data will be used
- Dealers and OEMs can be joint data controllers in some processes, such as new vehicle sales, where they both have a key stake in the process and benefit from the data that is acquired
- Dealer errors in regard to data protection create a risk for the OEM and the entire network. A mistake can result in penalties of up to four percent of annual turnover
- OEMs depend on the satisfaction of their customers and of independent repairers who purchase their parts. They need to ensure that the data provided by these customers and repairers is well protected
HOW SGS CAN HELP
To help automotive dealers comply with GDPR, we provide a suite of services through our management system, GDPRonline. In addition, our onsite consultants will help dealers perform self assessments, identify gaps and set up action plans.
For further information, please contact:
Global Head of Field Services
t: +49 6128 74873 812
m: +49 172 7648658